Thursday, May 20, 2010

Zippered Pouch Tutorial, as promised ;)




I'll do my best to explain this, but it really is pretty simple. I can do them without any directions now.

First things first. Cut out your fabric into the desired size. I usually take a piece of paper, fold it down to the approximate size I want my pouch to be. I also buy a 7 inch long zipper in a coordinating color to match whatever fabric Im using. The 7 inch zipper works for me, with the piece of paper Im using as my pattern. You will need to cut out 2 pieces of fabric for your lining, and 2 pieces of fabric for the outside of your pouch.

Ok, first actual step for sewing. lay 1 piece of your lining down, pattern facing UP. Then lay your zipper along the edge.

Now, you'll lay your outer fabric piece down, pattern facing DOWN. Pin both pieces of fabric to the zipper, as straight as you can get it.


Sew a line, as close to the zipper as possible. My sewing machine has left and right alignment, so I just adjust it to the one that is closest to the zipper at that time. Also, when I get close to the zipper, I drop my needle, and lift the foot, and unzip the zipper, so it stays out of my way while Im sewing. Then drop the foot, and keep going.


Open up the fabric you just sewed, and then iron it down. Then you will sew, the same line pretty much, but now with your fabric opened up, to the right side. I put my needle alignment back to middle for this.


Now we are basically repeating the first few steps, but on the opposite side of the zipper. Lay your lining fabric down, pattern facing up. Lay down the piece you've already sewn. Lay down your outer fabric, pattern facing down. Pin along the zipper.


Sew along the zipper line, same as before. Then open it up, iron it down, and then sew that line again. Once you've finished that you're project should look like this.


Unzip it about half way. This will make it a million times easier when we get a little farther into the project.


Open up both ends, so that the matching fabric prints are both facing in towards each other. Line up the fabric that is your lining. Pin both of the short sides. When you get ready to sew it, make sure you've folded the zipper down towards the lining fabric, on both sides. I couldn't figure out how to take a picture of this step, you'll just have to know it when you see it.


Sew a line down each side. Make sure to go forward and backward along the zipper ends that you folded down.

Now, we're going to pin the outer fabric side. This time though, we are pinning it all the way around.


Sew all the way around all 3 edges. I usually run over the zipper edges again, just to make sure it's all secure.


This part is where leaving the zipper half unzipped is gonna come in handy. Flip your bag right side out, but leave the lining hanging out.


Fold the lining in, so there are no unfinished edges showing, and then pin it. Sew a line as close to the edge as you can. This seals your pouch.


Push the lining back into the bag. And voila, you've just made a pouch.


Zip it up, and you're ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment