Thursday, May 27, 2010

Babydoll dress

I bought this super cute knit toile fabric about 6 months ago. I found it on this website called SewZannes. Lots of super cute knits if you are into that. Toile is usually in home decorator fabrics or cottons, so the fact that I found one in a knit was super exciting to me. Im a nerd, I know. It's ok, I deal with it on a daily basis. Anywho, I saw a dress on Etsy that I really like but was totally not willing to pay $85 for a dress. Plus making it myself, means I can customize it to my hearts desire. So I decided Id finally use the toile I bought forever ago, to make the bottom portion of the dress. A friend of mine bought me some pink bunny buttons, that Ive been holding onto for a while also. Sometimes you just gotta hold onto cool things until the mood strikes ya, I guess. So I decided to mesh the toile and bunny buttons, and to tie them together, Id use a pale pink cotton interlock. I decided to use a one inch grosgrain ribbon for the straps, and a one inch lace for the trim around the top and the straps. The lace is super cute, and its sorta sparkly iridescent. I used a pretty basic pattern for the main idea of the dress. Its overall a babydoll dress. This allowed me to have the pieces of the dress pretty close to the size they were going to be in the end result. All the trim and stuff I kinda had to figure out for myself and I had to reshape the bust a little bit because it called for putting darts into it if it was cotton (which I was using a knit). I think the dress probably took me about 3-4 hours total, but I take a lot of breaks while making it to take care of the kids and do other things. Still it was done in one day.

1 comment:

  1. This is so PRETTY! I love how you took a design that is very trendy and made it your own! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete