Tonight for dinner, I went for something I pretty much know how to do by heart now. I found this recipe online about 2 months ago, and its super easy. Its just a simple Steak strips and Rice. I started out making this back then, because I wanted steak, and my husband either wasn't getting home till later, or didn't want to grill out. Either way, doesn't matter. I'm now a steak strips pro. Matt loves it, and on a rare occasion, Desi will eat some of the steak and rice. Parker on the other hand will only eat the rice. Go figure. I do always add some butter to the rice after its done cooking for a little more flavor. I didn't take pictures of it though tonight. I'm slacking. Frankly, I wasn't really thinking about it.
As for the side item, I made the dreaded Broccoli and Cheese, from my recipe "to do" list. Matt likes broccoli, I do not. Frankly, its pretty much up there with seafood, meaning I can't even stand the smell of it, typically. But, Matt called me on his way home from work, letting me know he pulled a muscle in his back, so I decided to at least make dinner nice for him, and seeing as this was on my list of recipes to try, tonight is as good as any night. Might as well get it over with for me.
I used a steamer to cook the broccoli (looks like this). I got it back when the kids were babies, and I was making their baby food. (PS, making baby food without the steamer would have been hell) Anyway, I think it might have steamed for like 10 minutes or so. Then I melted about 2 tablespoons of butter in the microwave. I transferred the broccoli into a microwaveable bowl and then poured the butter on it, then put a handful of shredded cheddar cheese it. Nuked it for a minute and voila.... broccoli and cheese. Now, I'm not gonna lie. I really did almost skip putting the broccoli on my plate altogether after putting my steak strips and rice on there. But I figured I'd better at least try it, so that one day when my kids are actually WILLING to try it, I can say I've done it as well. Turns out, its edible. The bushy part is better tasting than the stem part. And I wish I would have done a bigger handful of cheese. I think I liked that the bushy part soaked up the butter, so it had some flavor other than "green".
So, am I willing to eat it again? Sure, if the kids are around, haha. I'm probably not going to order it off a menu or eat it on my own volition. But I guess if I make it for Matt, I can at least put it on my plate also, so when the kids are looking at me like I'm crazy for putting something gross on their plates, at least its on mine also.
Do you think you could describe how you made your own baby food in a future blog? Thanks!!
ReplyDelete